- 90% of NT is under active exploration or application for petroluem or gas.
- majority of this is unconventional and shale gas and will require hydraulic fracturing
- Amadeus basin (source of Alice Springs water) is a priority region for gas exploration in the NT.
- Fracking has been identified as a contamination threat to groundwater supplies both in Australia and internationally.
- Other concerns include environmental degradation, waste
disposal, large volumes of water required, chemicals used in fracking,
health concerns, fugitive emissions, and climate impacts.
- NT has the weakest water regulations in Australia
- In only takes 1 faulty well to pollute an aquifer.
Please consider our tenuous position in relation to our
need for clean ground water here in Alice Springs and stand against
this happening on behalf of us your constituents
Thankyou for your consideration in this matter